Two occupants of a Midlands home were able to escape a fire Tuesday morning because they were alerted by their smoke detector.

Columbia Fire Department spokesman Brick Lewis says the blaze started from a wood-burning stove in the basement of the residence at 1221 Jake Eargle Road.

The home received significant damage estimated at $130,000 dollars.

Home heating is one of the leading causes of fire during the holidays.

In 2011 nationwide, heating equipment resulted in more than 53,000 reported structure fires, associated with 400 deaths, more than 1,500 injuries and roughly $890-million in direct property damage.

Almost half of home heating equipment fires are reported during the months of December, January and February.

Lewis mentioned one of the bigger problems.

Space heaters are either too close to combustible materials, whether they're curtains or a couch or those kind of things,” he cautioned.

“We do see instances where those are also kicked over and are accidental fires but that's why we don't recommend those.”

Lewis says if you must use a space heater, be sure to leave “space” around it.

Another problem this time of year – candles.

They add beauty and fragrance to your home, but can easily be knocked over by people or animals.

Lewis says you should burn them at least one foot away from anything that is combustible, don't use them in the bedroom, don't leave a child alone in a room with a burning candle, and remember to blow them out when you leave the room or go to bed.